Tuesday, January 22, 2013

You Can't Take It With You

This is insane. My journey begins in just 8 days!

I have been taking inventory of all of my material things and during these past few days, I've been thinking hard about whats really important to me. I have to put three and a half months worth of material things into a suitcase that does not exceed 50 pounds. Is this even possible? I've never had to pack more than a week's worth of clothes. Ever. I have to leave many things behind. I know it will be hard to live without some of my belongings (especially my favorite pillow), but it will be worth it. I'm willing to sacrifice my comfort for the experience that lies ahead.

Yesterday, it struck me that Americans inevitably get into the daily routine of work and end up losing sight of the ultimate goal. I often find myself primarily focusing on monetary gain. Success is based on a fast-pace here and I feel like I'm constantly on the run.. Is this what we should be getting out of life? At the end of the day, I believe that what is truly important is each experience that will stay with us forever. Life has to be about more than just money, cars and clothes. I think it's about the journey.

I'm so blessed to have this opportunity and so excited to put my back against the wall and see what I'm made of. This is going to be a test of independence. I'm ready to rearrange my daily routine. I'm excited to see how Spaniards live. I'm excited to stop focusing on the usual, and instead focus on what's important.


No comments:

Post a Comment